It is currently 22. Aug 2017, 09:23

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: network speed
PostPosted: 24. Feb 2009, 05:16 

what kind of speed does a network need to support headless boxes , I was wanting to run 1 q6600 box and one e6600 box both headless , what would the slowest server I could use / or what would be the best (cost vs speed) server speed / memory the project I want to run is Rosetta @home Robert

Post subject: Re: network speed
PostPosted: 24. Feb 2009, 08:20 

Robby1959 wrote:
what kind of speed does a network need to support headless boxes , I was wanting to run 1 q6600 box and one e6600 box both headless , what would the slowest server I could use / or what would be the best (cost vs speed) server speed / memory the project I want to run is Rosetta @home Robert

The requirements for the server is small. A Pentium 1 GHz CPU with about 256 MB with 100 MBit Ethernet would be the minium for a diskless server. If you have Gigabit Ethernet in your systems, it would be better...

If you want to crunch Rosetta on the Server too, the CPU is your choice. But according the Rosetta homepage, Rosetta requires 512 MB memory. So 512 MB is the minimum RAM for the server, 640..768 MB recommended.

For the hard disk, about 10 GB space minimum (2,5 GB for Dotsch/UX, plus 1,5 for the diskless server and 2*1,5 GB for both diskless systems.). Plus some space for the rosetta application and rosetta data. - According the Rosetta homepage about 400 MB would be required.
But, if you not have the whole hard disk space available, you can also make a seperate /diskless filesystem (where the diskless server and client data would be stored) on a other hard disk, or make a logical volume which spreads about several hard disks.

I am not shure, if the CPU/hard disk requirements on the Rosetta homepage listed are thought per system or per CPU core....
So eventualy you need more than 512 MB memory and the 400 MB diskspace, if you crunch rosetta on a multi core system.

But, in general, to less memory would slowdown the system. I would also recommend you to let a good reserve for the hard disk space.

PostPosted: 25. Feb 2009, 03:05 

what kind of traffic does Seti and rosetta put on a headless network? my understanding is its not that bad , does your system use a ram drive to hold data or does it shoot it on the network as soon as its ready? also if the server is running boinc ( prefered ) will the systems data buss be busy requiring a different network setup or are the data pieces small and not a big deal? also running 2 rosettas really could use close to a gig

PostPosted: 25. Feb 2009, 08:21 

Robby1959 wrote:
what kind of traffic does Seti and rosetta put on a headless network? my understanding is its not that bad , does your system use a ram drive to hold data or does it shoot it on the network as soon as its ready?

The BIOS of the diskless client initated a PXE boot, which requests and get a boot image and network config from the diskless server. The Linux kernel mounts the according diskless client FS via network from the server.
So all data would be immediatly written and readen from the network.

After the OS has booted, the diskless client reads and writes mostly only the BOINC client and the science application (Rosetta) data over the network.

Quote:
also if the server is running boinc ( prefered ) will the systems data buss be busy requiring a different network setup or are the data pieces small and not a big deal? also running 2 rosettas really could use close to a gig

Sorry, don't understand excatly what you mean.

PostPosted: 29. May 2009, 19:16 

Robby1959 wrote:
what kind of traffic does Seti and rosetta put on a headless network? my understanding is its not that bad , does your system use a ram drive to hold data or does it shoot it on the network as soon as its ready? also if the server is running boinc ( prefered ) will the systems data buss be busy requiring a different network setup or are the data pieces small and not a big deal? also running 2 rosettas really could use close to a gig

100Gb network speed is fine. 10GB will also work the client is just a bit slower booting and responding when logged onto it remotely. I'm using a mix of Gigabit and 10/100 but have just replaced the machine's mobo that was running at 10Gb (a faulty NIC in an Asus uATX board).

My Dotsch/UX server is also an Intel Quad that runs BOINC also and serves up the nfs to multiple other diskless quad clients. The data buss is fast enough that it doesn't create problems. I would recommend using two different HDDs if more than 4 or 5 clients. One for the OS (an old IDE 10~20GB works fine) and one mounted as /diskless for the client's nfs. At some point (I think around 6 clients) the writes to the nfs start becoming a small bottleneck for quad clients running a lot of projects. Over 9 quad clients and you need to start considering a fast HDD or RAID set up for the nfs mounted at /diskless.

For a quad running the bigger projects, CPDN, Rosetta, WCG, etc. I always use 2x1GB in the crunchers.. regardless of them being diskless or headless.

BTW,
Headless = no monitor / keyboard / mouse but normally would have a HDD.
Diskless = no HDD

My clients are all both while the server is, obviously, just headless. The quad clients running a dozen projects average out to using 3.3GB each on /diskless + 1.66GB per 'master' (one for 64b and if you have any, 1 for 32bit)

PostPosted: 23. Jun 2009, 02:28 

Robby1959 wrote:

Let me also try to give you the short answer... I should learn to do this first...

It's no big deal... small potatoes.