It is currently 20. Oct 2017, 09:08

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: blacklist modules
PostPosted: 10. Sep 2010, 08:06 

Dotsch/ux 1.2 USB. How can one use /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to stop a module from loading?

Post subject: Re: blacklist modules
PostPosted: 10. Sep 2010, 19:04 

It's like on the usual way on Ubuntu. Add it to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist with "blacklist" before the module name.
From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Loadable_Modules :
Blacklist Module

For various reasons you might want to stop a module form loading, In this case you can blacklist the module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

nano -w /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

for example add the line

blacklist e100

PostPosted: 10. Sep 2010, 21:32 

Thank you. That is what tried to do. I added "blacklist r8169" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist with no success. I tried adding a file, /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-network, with a line: blacklist r8169. I even tried "alias r8169 off" in /etc/modprobe.d/arch/i386. The module was loaded despite these configurations.

This integrated motherboard's NIC -- Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02) -- maybe be poorly supported by r8169 , perhaps for that kernel release in Dotsch/UX 1.2, and to complicate matters more the device sometimes failed to be listed in lspci output. I finally found how to deactivate the device in the BIOS and used a PCI slot for a known-good-working network interface card.

PostPosted: 11. Sep 2010, 12:44 

I am wondering about the r8169 problem. One of m test systems has also this NIC integrated on the board, and I never had any problems.
But, I am planing to release a new Dotsch/UX release with new kernels soon.

PostPosted: 11. Sep 2010, 16:12 

I am assuming my particular motherboard -- BIOSTAR Group G31-M7 TE -- is faulty; although, I read some bug reports about the r8169 module and this Realtek NIC. IIRC the problem was alleviated with a subsequent kernel release.

I don't understand why the blacklist configuration failed to stop loading the module.

Thanks.