It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:41

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Boot Floppy for non booting USB system
PostPosted: 22. Apr 2009, 21:41 

I know it's noted as one of the future developments for Dotsch/UX but has anyone managed to successfully use a boot floppy to boot the OS installed on a USB stick?

I have a couple of old systems I would like to do this on. As a complete noob to any sort of Linux, I feel a little out of depth it trying to make one. I'm still trying to find out why Dotsch/UX wont detect or mount my installed floppy disk drive.

If anyone has a working disk that they use I would love an image of the disk or some very good instructions (for a complete novice) on how to create one.

By the way I have to say I'm impressed with the OS that Dotsch has packaged just for Boinc projects, I had a little trouble setting up the network, I have a DHCP router, but I ended up inputting the details manually.

Cheers
Rich

Post subject: Re: Boot Floppy for non booting USB system
PostPosted: 23. Apr 2009, 03:45 

I would guess the problem is something that's in common with Ubuntu.

Take a look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=155179

After seeing your message I was playing around with an Ubuntu v8.10 computer that I have (had) and it wasn't recognizing the FDD either but I'm not sure that the FDD in that thing was any good. Before I could get too far with it a guy that had called earlier came by and bought the computer. That was the only box I had with a FDD in it. Maybe somebody else here has a box with a FDD but the Ubuntu forums are probably a better bet. I'd do some googling for "can't mount floppy, ubuntu".

PS: One thing to check is to make sure your floppy isn't formatted NTFS.

PostPosted: 26. Apr 2009, 13:49 

I have not found a way of for the boot floppy to boot a USB stick in the moment. - But it's still in my work queue.

The DHCP server problem will be addressed in the next release of Dotsch/UX. - It's only posible to have one diskless server in one network for the diskless clients.

A fix for DHCP on Dotsch/UX systems from a router or a other DHCP server is published on my homepage :
• DHCP adderesses would been not automaticly assigned in Dotsch/UX 1.1. Workaround : Edit the config file
/etc/network/interfaces and add the statement „auto ethX“ before each iface statement, save the file and reboot the
system. For example a fixed config file :
auto lo
iface lo iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
auto eth0 iface eth0 dhcp
auto eth1
auto eth1 iface eth0 dhcp

PostPosted: 26. Apr 2009, 20:30 

For reasons I haven't had time to dig into yet I'm not having to add it for each one.

Here's my interfaces file for the most recently added diskless client:

Code:
# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth1 inet dhcp

PS: I modified interfaces in master.x64 to only include two nic adaptors.

PostPosted: 8. Jun 2009, 21:27 

I would be very interested in this as well. I'm currently using DSL Linux (a Debian derivative), and it works well with the shell version (non-GUI) of BOINC. However, it is a 2.4.31 kernel, and I can't run any optimized application code for Enigma@Home until I get a 2.6.X kernel. Rather than download and compile a 2.6.X series kernel on gcc 2.96, I would think Dotsch_UX is a better solution. Unfortunately, the IBM Thinkpad 560X (with a whopping 233Mhz Pentium MMX processor) doesn't have the capability of booting off the USB port, nor will it ever. However, I would think the Damn Small Linux boot disk could serve as a guide as to how to boot off the usb port so you can get the rest of the cd onto a newly formatted drive. FWIW.

Mike Doerner

PostPosted: 9. Jun 2009, 08:07 

Great idea. I will try this.