It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:43

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Can't stay attached to projects
PostPosted: 27. May 2010, 02:03 

I've been experimenting with running BOINC on USB drives using Dotsch/UX 64 bit. I have been able to get it up and running and attach to projects. The problem I'm having is every time I need to reboot or the computer restarts after a power failure I have to go in and reattach to the projects I'm running and I lose all the work that had been in progress. I don't have the problem if I run Dotsch/UX on a HDD. Since this is my first venture into running any form of Linux I have no idea what to do. I'm using 8GB USB drives on a system with 6GB of DDR3 12800 memory.

Post subject: Re: Can't stay attached to projects
PostPosted: 30. May 2010, 11:28 

From which media do you have booted ?
The CD ROM boot has per default no persistent home and every data will lose after the boot. - Here a setup of a persistent USB stick or a complete USB installation is required.
With the persistent USB stick home directory the whole home directory would be stored on the USB stick.
With the USB installation, all data (OS and data) will be stored on the USB stick.

PostPosted: 30. May 2010, 19:19 

I am running off the USB drive not a live CD. I have tried the install with 2 different programs. Universal USB installer vs 1.5.6 and unetbootin 442 Ubuntu version for Windows. My main OS is Win 7 Pro 64 bit. There is no option to set up disk space for persistence that I can find in either install program that I've tried. I've done a bunch of google searching to no avail. I kept reading I need a casper-rw loop file for this to work but I don't see one after the install. This is the first time I've tried anything Linux so this is all new to me.

PostPosted: 30. May 2010, 19:59 

This additional tools are absolutly not supportend and also not required. Dotsch/UX includes internal installer for USB stick, HDD, and the persistent home directory on the USB stick.

The USB stick installer prepears USB stick with a bootable Dotsch/UX image. The persistent home directory is thouht to boot from the CD and write the data in the home directories(/home) to a USB stick.

To install Dotsch/UX on a complete USB stick, please have a look at the USB stick installation guide : http://www.dotsch.de/boinc/DotschUX-USB ... ation.html
And for a guide to setup a persistent home directory on a USB stick : http://www.dotsch.de/boinc/DotschUX-LiveCD.html

PostPosted: 30. May 2010, 23:30 

Thanks. I knew being a linux noob it was something obvious that I was missing. Listened to the wrong people. Can't wait to get this running. Thanks for your work on the program. I plan on putting all my crunchers on USB drives.

PostPosted: 31. May 2010, 00:53 

It's working fine. Just one more question. How do I bypass the logon screen so it will restart projects without a user name and password after a reboot?

PostPosted: 31. May 2010, 07:38 

nanoprobe wrote:
It's working fine. Just one more question. How do I bypass the logon screen so it will restart projects without a user name and password after a reboot?

BOINC client starts automaticly at boot time.

But the the desktop auto login can also been enabled. From the FAQ (http://www.dotsch.de/boinc/DotschUX-FAQ.html) :
• Enable/disable GNOME autologin : Per default the User BOINC would be automatically login after the boot on Dotsch/UX 1.0, since Dotsch/UX 1.1 it‘s disabled due security reasons.
To enable/disable the autologin : Select „System“ / „Administration“ / „Login Window“ in the GOME menu. Select the bar „Security“ and enable/disable the option „Enable Automatic Login“

PostPosted: 2. Jun 2010, 00:00 

That did it. Thanks again. When I finish school this summer I'm going to navigate around on the client and learn more about Linux. No time right now.