It is currently 22. Aug 2017, 09:23

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: CDROM system errors after running Dotsch/UX from usb stick
PostPosted: 16. Jul 2010, 07:22 

I have overwhelming error messages regarding "sro": buffer I/O error on device SR0 logical block 150. (I chose to install/boot a non-graphical system.) Similar messages seem to occur if there is any CD in the optical drive and actually prevent the system from loading or working. Of course there is no need to have a CD in the drive; I incidentally discovered this problem while successfully using PLoP images http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html on machines which can't or unreliably boot from usb flash sticks. During the Ubuntu initialization or while these messages occluded the terminal, it was almost impossible to get the very busy CDROM to eject the PLoP CD (or a Dotsch/UX CD). When I finally pried the CD out of the busy CDROM, the system carried on. If I ejected the PLoP CD soon enough, the usb boot was successful. Just for fun :roll: I put a CD in the drive while using the command-line mode and the messages started again. The CDROM light is constantly flashing during the boot-up process. I don't believe this has anything to do with PLoP because the same mess obtained with a successfully booted usb system on a machine booted with the usb only.

FYI. Thanks for Dotsch/UX.

Post subject: Re: CDROM system errors after running Dotsch/UX from usb stick
PostPosted: 16. Jul 2010, 16:17 

:? Speculating about the error messages I wondered what process is polling or checking the CDROM (/dev/scd0).

:idea: This appears to be part of the process of auto-mounting removable media. Maybe there is a need for auto-mounting in Dotsch/UX. Is there a safe, practical way to regulate or stop this HAL daemon from harassing the CDROM? Is this a job for the update-rc.d command?

I need to use the PLoP CD to boot the usb system but it is difficult to eject the CD at just the right time. This seems very silly eh. :roll: Imagine! "(every 2 sec)" ;)

boinc@dotschux:~$ ls -l /dev/sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2010-07-16 05:53 /dev/sr0 -> scd0

boinc@dotschux:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 4009 MB, 4009754624 bytes
5 heads, 32 sectors/track, 48947 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 160 * 512 = 81920 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x2dbb33b5

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 13 48947 3914736 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

boinc@dotschux:~$ ps aux | grep poll
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
root 7112 0.0 0.1 3436 1056 ? S 09:54 0:01 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/scd0 (every 2 sec)
root 7129 0.0 0.1 3436 1052 ? S 09:54 0:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sda (every 2 sec)

Post subject: Re: CDROM system errors after running Dotsch/UX from usb stick
PostPosted: 24. Aug 2010, 08:51 

In the moment, PLOP is not really full tested with Dotsch/UX. I will have a clother look into this problem.