It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:40

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Dotsch/UX for IA64 ??
PostPosted: 7. Sep 2011, 07:36 

Given that Ubuntu supports IA64 (do they really?), is there any chance of ever seeing a version of Dotsch/UX for the Itanium architecture ??

I have an HP rx2600 workstation (dual 1.5GHz / 6Mb cache Intanium-2 CPUs, ample RAM) that I'm currently using -- very inefficiently -- for the BOINC CPDN (Climate Prediction dot net) project, having installed Windows XP Pro 64-bit (Itanium) Edition Version 2003, which includes a feature (called "WOW" I believe) that allows running 32-bit Windows applications. But in the particular case of the CPDN BOINC application, this is extremely inefficient ... here is a sample work unit:

CPDN Work Unit 6842788

which on my rx2600 workstation (computer ID 958983) took 7.76 million CPU seconds to complete, compared to just 1.2 million CPU seconds to complete on computer ID 1071702 (which appears to be a 2.13GHz Intel Core i3 CPU running 32-bit Windows 7) and similarly on computer ID 1008637 (which appears to be a 3.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 CPU running 32-bit Windows XP). A factor of up to 2x slower one could attribute to the clock freq of my rx2600 being only 1.5GHz, but to account for a factor of 6x slower I've got to assume the 32-bit emulation on Windows for Itanium must be responsible, given the particular CPDN 32-bit Windows executable involved here. (Is it possible that the Linux ia64 Itanium-2 32-bit emulation layer, "ia32el", would be any better than the WinXP for Itanium "WOW" feature ? Granted I would somehow need to manually "trick" Linux BOINC into identifying itself to the CPDN project as 32-bit Linux, in order to be given 32-bit Linux applications to execute under "ia32el" to try this ....).

But if there was a simpler/easier way to install and run BOINC on my rx2600 workstation and exploit whatever CPU horsepower the twin 1.5GHz Itanium-2 processors in this machine have to offer, I'm not necessarily restricting myself to the BOINC CPDN project only. The most up-to-date version of IA64 Linux that I have successfully installed+booted on the rx2600 is Scientific Linux CERN 5.4 (built from RHEL 5.4 sources), although I have not experimented with BOINC under this OS (only ia64 fc9 and SL 4.2 previously, and without any success).

Any advice/suggestions/shortcuts (e.g., Dotsch/UX for IA64) would be much appreciated !

Thanks,

-- Jim

Post subject: Re: Dotsch/UX for IA64 ??
PostPosted: 28. Sep 2011, 20:03 

I think, that the usage of a Dotsch/UX release for Itanium is not very high. Itanium is not such much used in the distributed compunting scene like the x86.

The performance problems you are reporting are caused by the 32 bit emulation on the CPU. A factor of 6 is "OK" for a float intensive application. I have made simliar expirance with the PARISC emulation on a IA64 HP/UX system. As much as more float as much slower. But should OK for non CPU and integer loads...
Eventualy you can better utilize your Windows IA64 system with integer projects - like SIMAP.

I have not tried the emulation layer on Linux, but sounds also interesting. I think I have to do some evaluations and tests. I guess the same results as on Windows and HP/UX.

To utilize the full performance of the IA64 architekture for distributed computing, you need native IA64 binaries.
Acutally HP/UX IA64 is supported by the projects SETI, SIMAP and Constellation(Actual Binaries will released soon). Linux IA64 on SETI and SIMAP. Eventualy I can port constellation to Linux IA64, too.
For Windows IA64 I don't know any supported project.

Post subject: Re: Dotsch/UX for IA64 ??
PostPosted: 26. Mar 2012, 23:47 

Dotsch wrote:
I think, that the usage of a Dotsch/UX release for Itanium is not very high. Itanium is not such much used in the distributed compunting scene like the x86.

The performance problems you are reporting are caused by the 32 bit emulation on the CPU. A factor of 6 is "OK" for a float intensive application. I have made simliar expirance with the PARISC emulation on a IA64 HP/UX system. As much as more float as much slower. But should OK for non CPU and integer loads...
Eventualy you can better utilize your Windows IA64 system with integer projects - like SIMAP.

I have not tried the emulation layer on Linux, but sounds also interesting. I think I have to do some evaluations and tests. I guess the same results as on Windows and HP/UX.

To utilize the full performance of the IA64 architekture for distributed computing, you need native IA64 binaries.
Acutally HP/UX IA64 is supported by the projects SETI, SIMAP and Constellation(Actual Binaries will released soon). Linux IA64 on SETI and SIMAP. Eventualy I can port constellation to Linux IA64, too.
For Windows IA64 I don't know any supported project.

I would love to see a version of this for the Alpha CPU. There were several Linux distributions which natively supported the Alpha CPU and there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of hobbyists with DS-10 and DS-20 machines looking for things to do with them. Since nobody seems willing to port BOINC to OpenVMS on the Alpha, the next best thing would be dual booting the work stations to let them run BOINC on Linux when we don't have VMS things to do with them.