It is currently 21. Nov 2017, 03:26

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Dotsch 1.2 or Ubuntu 9.1?
PostPosted: 1. Apr 2010, 15:11 

Hi Dotsch, thank you for your constant support of Dotsch UX which has a great impact on promoting Linux for BOINC! As a windows user I switched one PC to Ubuntu 9.1, also a number of virtual machines. When using software packages or the sudo command advised by BOINC there are no real problems and everything is perfect, however updating the client manually poses massive problems since all instructions refer to Ubuntu 8.10.

Now I intend to use one HTPC with MythTV. Which would be the better platform: Dotsch UX or 9.10? And also important, what is the best way to monitor a number of clients in a hybrid network (Windows, Linux and possibly Mac)? Is the Ganglia tool able to do so or should I stick with BOINCview either on PC or Wine?

Cheers,
Matt

Post subject: Re: Dotsch 1.2 or Ubuntu 9.1?
PostPosted: 3. Apr 2010, 10:08 

Mad Matt wrote:
Hi Dotsch, thank you for your constant support of Dotsch UX which has a great impact on promoting Linux for BOINC! As a windows user I switched one PC to Ubuntu 9.1, also a number of virtual machines. When using software packages or the sudo command advised by BOINC there are no real problems and everything is perfect, however updating the client manually poses massive problems since all instructions refer to Ubuntu 8.10.

Sorry, I don't understand excatly your update problems. Where excatly do you have update problems ? - Could you please describe it more detailed.
Do you mean, that you have upgraded Dotsch/UX to Ubuntu 9.10 ?
In Dotsch/UX the BOINC client and manager is not used from the Ubuntu repositories, because it's a little bit outdated. Instead the offical BOINC client (6.10.17) was installed to /home/boinc/BOINC.

Mad Matt wrote:
Now I intend to use one HTPC with MythTV. Which would be the better platform: Dotsch UX or 9.10? And also important, what is the best way to monitor a number of clients in a hybrid network (Windows, Linux and possibly Mac)? Is the Ganglia tool able to do so or should I stick with BOINCview either on PC or Wine?

I have no expiriance with MythTV, but its possible to install the MythTV or HTPC packages on Dotsch/UX over synaptic or apt-get.

You must differ between the goals of the monitoring tools ganglia and BOINC view.
Ganglia is a performance monitoring tool to monitor the key performance indicators (CPU, memory, network, IO, etc.) of a lot of systems in a single server (Ganglia Server).
BOINC view monitors the different BOINC systems, and give you a overview what your BOINC clients are doing (computed tasks, downloaded tasks, etc.). - I thought also to include BOINC View in Dotsch/UX, but the BOINC View development was stopped some time ago. Also the wine installation and BOINC view required to much space, that I can include it on the ISO images.
But I am still search for a alternative to BOINC view on Linux, but have not found anything...

PostPosted: 3. Apr 2010, 14:16 

Dotsch wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand excatly your update problems. Where excatly do you have update problems ? - Could you please describe it more detailed.
Do you mean, that you have upgraded Dotsch/UX to Ubuntu 9.10 ?

It's rather vice versa, I was thinking about 'downgrading' 9.10 to Dotsch/UX - 9.10 is great 'as is', but I can hardly do any installs or changes without the software manager (including new BOINC versions).

Since most advice and installation instructions found on the web are referring to Ubuntu 8.x, I was wondering if this should be the first choice for a novice like me, additionally to your great pre-installs and configurations.

PostPosted: 6. Apr 2010, 21:43 

For a newbie the BOINC part in Dotsch/UX is ready to use. But the MythTV or HTPC applications must been installed manualy...

From the technical side, only some new features in Ubuntu 9 are of interest for Dotsch/UX and the BOINC part. For example better compression of the USB and CD images, faster boot and newer software releases.
From the user side I think the desktop in Ubuntu 9 is a little bit more smoother.

I am working at the next Dotsch/UX release in the moment. It will be based on the next Ubuntu 10.04 LTS version.