It is currently 22. Aug 2017, 09:23

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Dotsch UX 1.2 x64 direct to USB without booting the CD
PostPosted: 25. Dec 2010, 20:14 

Hello,

is it possible to get Dotsch UX 1.2 x64 direct to the USB stick without booting the downloaded iso CD image? My x64 can't read from CD, the drive is out of order. So I do not have a x64 system where I can boot a CD. Therefore I want to create the USB stick on a winXP system.

yoyo

Post subject: Re: Dotsch UX 1.2 x64 direct to USB without booting the CD
PostPosted: 7. Jan 2011, 00:12 

In the moment it's not implemented. But I think it's a good idea.
I will test, if there is any solution.

Post subject: Re: Dotsch UX 1.2 x64 direct to USB without booting the CD
PostPosted: 8. Feb 2011, 22:02 

You might want to check out Pendrivelinux.com. I tried installing dotsch_ux-12_x64.iso under Vista to a 2GB pendrive with their Universal USB Installer, along with their PDL Casper-RW Creator without burning a CD, and it was mostly successful.

Run Universal USB Installer, select "Try Unlisted Linux ISO (Old Syslinux)" (it is at the end of the dropdown list), browse to your ISO, and let it format the pendrive. After that finishes, use the Casper-RW Creator to make a ~300MB casper-rw file like your USB Stick installation example used. That seems to be all it takes to perform your "Create a USB Startup disk (step 1)" without burning a CD.

When the pendrive booted, it stopped at the BOOT: prompt, which seemed to work if I entered "live". It turned out that the syslinux/text.cfg file was not quite the same, so I copied one from a Dotsch/UX-1.2 pendrive that I had made earlier, and then it would boot normally. That is the kind of info that Pendrivelinux.com needs to add to their UII. The UII can also download the ISO if they are given a url to add to their installer. They can have both the 32 and 64 bit versions on the list.

Since setiathome is under maintenance right now, I cannot fully test it, but it seems to boot up OK.

If you click on "Additional Important Information", he writes:
Quote:
To try an unlisted ISO, for example "Ubuntu 9.10", use one of the the last two options in Step 1, "Try Unlisted Linux ISO". Please inform me of unlisted "Linux ISOs" you get to work via these options!

They have been updating UII quite frequently with new distributions.

They also have a MultiBoot USB windows application which would allow the latest memtest86+ (and other apps) to be booted from the pendrive without you having to include a version in your Dotsch/UX ISO.

This sounds like it would not take too much effort, but if you are too busy and would like for me to contact pendrivelinux, I would be glad to. Of course, you would be the best person to give pendrivelinux the most accurate info.