It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:43

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Dotsch UX 1.1 x64 hostname
PostPosted: 1. May 2009, 04:06 

I am using the LiveCD on multiple hosts when I need access to a 64-bit environment - specifically for PrimeGrid.
Now today I experienced big problems, most likely due to the fact that the hostname of all computers was the same "boinc" - which is hardcoded.
Would it be possible to generate a random hostname during boot-up? Otherwise I would have to end up making a separate boot CD for every host with a unique hostname.
What happened was that all my workunits got "aborted by project" and in my computers list, there was only one entry called "boinc", so I guess the whole thing got messed up when multiple hosts all claimed the same hostname (yet they all have different IPs, they even partially vary in hardware specs).
Manually changing the hostname is really quite tedious, especially as it will most likely screw up your X if you do that on the fly.

Last edited by Digi421 on 1. May 2009, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dotsch UX 1.1 x64
PostPosted: 1. May 2009, 05:22 

Digi421 wrote:
I am using the LiveCD on multiple hosts when I need access to a 64-bit environment - specifically for PrimeGrid.
Now today I experienced big problems, most likely due to the fact that the hostname of all computers was the same "boinc" - which is hardcoded.
Would it be possible to generate a random hostname during boot-up? Otherwise I would have to end up making a separate boot CD for every host with a unique hostname.
What happened was that all my workunits got "aborted by project" and in my computers list, there was only one entry called "boinc", so I guess the whole thing got messed up when multiple hosts all claimed the same hostname (yet they all have different IPs, they even partially vary in hardware specs).
Manually changing the hostname is really quite tedious, especially as it will most likely screw up your X if you do that on the fly.

Not sure a random host name will get you much further... if you start a W/U under HOSTNAME1 and then later finish and report it under HOSTNAME2... what would happen? Will the project see that all specs are the same and merge them? Or is this another error condition?

I'm not sure... thinking...

Just out of curiosity why don't you just install it to the HDD then you get to set the hostname. Do I follow you correctly in that you're actually crunching W/Us from off of the live CD? So each time you boot up you have to attach boinc to a(the) project(s) and let it run to completion before you can re-boot, right?

Just trying to understand the purpose here.

Post subject: Re: Dotsch UX 1.1 x64 hostname
PostPosted: 1. May 2009, 23:18 

Yes your assumptions are correct. I am running this on a couple of PCs at work, so installing anything is out of the question.
So I boot each box from the LiveCD and attach my account manager (I have the project in question attached as default to all new hosts).
When a random hostname is generated during boot-up, I would not run into the issue of having to change the hostname manually each time I boot the CD and changing the hostname on the fly always causes problems in X (not to mention BOINC).
I hope this explains the situation I'm in ;)

PostPosted: 2. May 2009, 08:11 

Digi421 wrote:
Yes your assumptions are correct. I am running this on a couple of PCs at work, so installing anything is out of the question.
So I boot each box from the LiveCD and attach my account manager (I have the project in question attached as default to all new hosts).
When a random hostname is generated during boot-up, I would not run into the issue of having to change the hostname manually each time I boot the CD and changing the hostname on the fly always causes problems in X (not to mention BOINC).
I hope this explains the situation I'm in ;)

Got it. Hoping Dotsch will weigh in here.

I'm thinking a little extra script in the startup maybe to prompt you for a name.... before the gdm starts... then execute hostname passing what you entered as a variable. Does it JUST need a hostname set? Is the domain getting set up OK automajically on the network at work? I'd be willing to take a try at the script if Dotsch can tell me where to plug it in at.

PostPosted: 3. May 2009, 01:05 

To be honest I'd prefer to automatically set a hostname, without any user interaction (it's bad enough booting 20+ boxes from CD) ;)
I was thinking of either using a random hostname or (this occurred to me later) simply use the trimmed MAC address of eth0 as the hostname - the latter should be sufficiently unique as well.
You can get this with
Code:
ifconfig eth0 | awk 'NR==1 {print $5}' | sed 's/://g'

I just don't know what to do with this or where to put it in in order to get that into the burnable ISO.

Also, but this is on a totally different note, I noticed that on every box (these are all Dell Optiplex with "Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller") I have to manually 'sudo ifup eth0' in order to get networking to work - we use DHCP based on the MAC address.

PostPosted: 5. May 2009, 07:48 

I think, that this would be a good idea. I will try to play a little bit around... Eventualy this would also work with a external DHCP server...
What do you think about to get a startup script from a remote server, where the user can customize the startup of the live cd ? For example catch the script from a remote server via ssh and execute it...

The live CD has no persistent mode in the moment implemented. The persistent live CD which should write data to a external media (USB, HDD, Network share) is on my todo list.
Eventualy would a diskless server with diskless clients over network a better solution for you...

I will also implement the Broadcom network drivers in the next release.

Thank you very much for the hints.

PostPosted: 6. May 2009, 15:09 

Thanks for your reply :)
I think the idea of a remote customizable settings script is great, that would make the whole thing really flexible in terms of deployment.
However, for me (and this is only for me), I'd be quite happy with the "cheap" solution of a random hostname or a hostname consisting of the MAC address - and automatic start of the interface. I can't really run a DHCP server at work, my admins would rip my head off if I did :o
Of course, a small persistent space (maybe via NFS or SMB - configurable via mentioned script; of course USB would work just fine, too) to save BOINC/other settings would make things even better/easier.