It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:41

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: flash drive boot (not usb)
PostPosted: 21. Apr 2010, 01:31 

I have a 2gb flash drive that plugs directly into the motherboard. I formatted as if it was a usb drive (fat16) but the usb install did not recognized it.

OK - I then formatted it as ext2 and went and did an HD install. That seems to be working tho it is taking a long time and I may not have enough room. Your requirements state 2.5 to 3gb and the CF is only 2gb.

Is there a way to force a usb type install on this CF boot device (x85 athlon mp mombo)

thanks!

[EDIT]
Did not install. Got near the end and crashed. Seems that open office and help packages maxed out the 2gb drive. I dont need any of those but there seems no way to tune the install. I do have a 4gb CF somewhere to try.

Post subject: Re: flash drive boot (not usb)
PostPosted: 21. Apr 2010, 06:07 

OK - making progress!!

I pulled the 2gb compact flash out of the ide drive adapter and plugged it into a usb adapter and installed the "usb dotsch". I then put it back into the ide adapter and rebooted.

Dotsch 1.2 booted up thinking it was the "live". It came up with two bugs

Minor bug: I have to click 3 times to get past that safe or poor graphics mode.

Major bug: Boinc thinks there is no space to store any files. There is just under 1gb of space on the flash drive, but Dotsch/UX is attempteing to use a non-existent USB drive.

This can probably be fixed in the mount table I would thnk.

This mombo does not have any usb ports and I had to temporarily put in a pci card with usb ports. I pulled the card out when I put the CF into the IDE.

Probably could use some help on editing fstab (or whatever) to stop using the non-existent USB drive.

PostPosted: 21. Apr 2010, 08:45 

Have you also performed the second step from the USB installation ? - It sounds like the step was not performed. In the second step the installer creates a image for /home on the USB stick, and also add the image to the fstab.

What for graphics card do you have installed ? - Normaly Ubuntu is able to probe the graphics card and set up the config automaticly correctly.

PostPosted: 21. Apr 2010, 14:19 

Dotsch wrote:
Have you also performed the second step from the USB installation ? - It sounds like the step was not performed. In the second step the installer creates a image for /home on the USB stick, and also add the image to the fstab.

Hi Dotsch!

I think I found the problem. I left only 128mb of space available for settings. Should have left a lot more. What I did was

(1) Create a USB startup disk on a 2gb compact flash stick adapter
(2) Pulled out the CF from the flash stick and put it into the IDE adapter (shown in the photo)
(3) Removed the CDROM, removed the PCI USB card and rebooted using the CF in the IDE
(4) setup Dotsch/UX on the installed hard disk (the 2gb CF adapter became the hard drive)

I am going to re-create the USB startup and leave more space and see if that fixes the problem. Boinc messages tell me that only 51mb of space is available and if I set preference higher than 0.06 gb all I get is 0.06 gb

Dotsch wrote:
What for graphics card do you have installed ? - Normaly Ubuntu is able to probe the graphics card and set up the config automaticly correctly.

I have NVS-280 and according to /var/log/kern.log I need to install 96.43.xx from nvidia. Unfortunately, this mombo does not have enet, video nor USB built in, nor can it boot from a USB. if I decide to keep this system then I will put that 96.43 version. I think I have another mombo with more stuff built in that takes those dual mp athlons.

[EDIT]
Working!! Am running Docking and ABC. I allocated 750mb of space for settings and rebooted using that CF as the IDE hard drive. I am going to set up another but I only have a 1gb flash which is too small (except for a console type minimal linux install)

The only remaining issues are the wrong graphic driver and a problem with static IP address. My ISP changes the name server from 69.whatever to 68.whatever and back occassionally. That ip goes into resolve.conf but I really need linux to get the namserver from the gateway 192.168.0.1 (which never changes). I have this same problem in 9.1 (Karmic) and the gnome network manager has problems of its own. I do not know how to set up unix to get the nameserver from the gateway device and end up using dhcp. I need the static address for boinctasks to work with linux system.

PostPosted: 23. Apr 2010, 17:12 

Strange - I tried to build a second one using x64 and a 4gb flash and it would not boot - "cannot find OS". I spend 4 hours trying to duplicate what I did earlier and gave up. It would boot as a USB flash, but not when I put it into the IDE flash adapter for the primary ide controller. Not sure exactly what I did the first time to get the other to work though that one was a 2gb and x86. Mombo was different too, this one was 64bit dual opteron.

Anyway, I gave up and just installed Dotsch/UX directly onto the 4gb flash drive while it was plugged directly into the primary controller ide socket.. It took more space than a USB boot, but it worked.

PostPosted: 26. Apr 2010, 08:22 

BeemerBiker wrote:
Strange - I tried to build a second one using x64 and a 4gb flash and it would not boot - "cannot find OS". I spend 4 hours trying to duplicate what I did earlier and gave up. It would boot as a USB flash, but not when I put it into the IDE flash adapter for the primary ide controller. Not sure exactly what I did the first time to get the other to work though that one was a 2gb and x86. Mombo was different too, this one was 64bit dual opteron.

Soemtimes the USB booting depends on the BIOS and the USB stick combination. Sometimes it helps to change the USB stick or make a BIOS upgrade.

PostPosted: 1. May 2010, 22:34 

SOLVED - The second one did not boot because it never got an MBR. The first one worked ok because I was messing around and deleted & created partitions and formatted it. The second one was formatted fat32 but no boot record. I am going to give details on another post.