It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:36

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Loss of client NFS communication
PostPosted: 14. Nov 2011, 14:17 

I have a diskless farm of 1 server and 11 clients. They all, at the same time, lost NFS communications to my server. 10 of them show the error "* Reloading dystem dog daemon...". 1 of them shows the error "nfs: server 10.10.5.20 not responding, still trying". When I reboot a client, it receives its DHCP address (IP address/ DNS information), then proceeds to read the pxelinux.cfg file. The client is directed to the /disklesss/client folder for its OS and then errors out with "RPC failed: 2". I have Wireshark packet captures from the server after I noticed the issue and after a client reboot when I get the "RPC failed: 2" error.

As far as I can tell, the server is running fine. I am posting this from the diskless server.

Anyone have any ideas?

r/s
Scott

Post subject: Re: Loss of client NFS communication
PostPosted: 15. Nov 2011, 15:34 

I resolved the first problem by shutting down all the clients and rebooting the server. Everything worked fine for a few hours until all the clients once again went down, this time with no error information on the screen. It looks like they just stopped responding. I rebooted one of them and it receives the DHCP address and loads pxelinux. When it gets pointed to its boot files on the hard drive, all I get is "Mount: I/O Error". I have rebooted the server and restarted 4 clients. They were online for a few minutes, then stopped responding again. Upon client reboot I received the same Mount: I/O Error.

PostPosted: 15. Nov 2011, 15:36 

While this is happening I have been resetting the clients date/time to my local Eastern time zone and matching the time to the server. Could time changes have an effect on the NFS connection?

PostPosted: 16. Nov 2011, 07:12 

If you have a crossover cable, you might try connecting the server directly to 1 client to see if the switch is not the cause of the problem.

stegil