It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:34

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Re: Dotsch/UX 1.1
PostPosted: 11. Mar 2009, 16:03 

Installed Ubuntu 8.10 x64, had no problems, didn't need to set up Ethernet, internet worked staright from install, so it appears more likely to be a problem with the Dotsch install than a hardware issue.

PostPosted: 11. Mar 2009, 16:33 

Hi Sci,

I have just installed 1.1 on my system, I all so have a wireless connection as well as an ethernet one. And they both work fine, ethernet worked when I updated the diskless.conf file and run the server install script, also the wireless worked when i clicked on the icon on the top bar and entered the passcode. Its possible that the iso you downloaded has become slightly corrupt?

PostPosted: 11. Mar 2009, 17:59 

Mine is a Hard Disk install - not Diskless. To get wireless to work I need to get on internet to download driver, for that I need Ethernet, which doesnt work. I have downloaded iso twice to check if I had a bad download the first time.

PostPosted: 11. Mar 2009, 19:17 

Mine is also on the hdd, i'm going to re-install it, and before I run the scripts, i'll check my NIC's and let you know.

PostPosted: 12. Mar 2009, 12:01 

Well, Re-installed 1.1 on my machine, ie, steps 1 and 2, not a problem where the NIC's are concerned, all worked well. I can only surmise that 1.1 is a cut down version, hence no build-in support for your hardware?, or your only doing step 1?

PostPosted: 12. Mar 2009, 16:37 

Step 1 ? Step 2? If you are talking about the instructions on the Dotsch pages - 2.2 Hard Disk Installation as previously mentioned, I have tried the manual and auto config options.

The 8.10 x64 standard Ubuntu install works ok and even if for some reason Dotsch doesnt include the driver for Marvel Yukon 88E8056 Ethernet, it doesnt explain why the install doesnt complete correctly.

The Ubuntu installation completes correctly and ejects the CD, Dotsch doesnt.

PostPosted: 12. Mar 2009, 20:38 

SciTechGrid wrote:
Step 1 ? Step 2? If you are talking about the instructions on the Dotsch pages - 2.2 Hard Disk Installation as previously mentioned, I have tried the manual and auto config options.

The 8.10 x64 standard Ubuntu install works ok and even if for some reason Dotsch doesnt include the driver for Marvel Yukon 88E8056 Ethernet, it doesnt explain why the install doesnt complete correctly.

The Ubuntu installation completes correctly and ejects the CD, Dotsch doesnt.

Sorry, I am totaly confused about the ouput you have written in the last postings and your statements, that the ethernet adaper would not work. The output form the ifconfig command clearly showed that a IP was assigned to your ethernet interface.
Could you please also awnser the open questions from my last postings in this thread. It would yery helpfull for me to debug the problems. I need to know what exactly did not work, and also need a output again from the commands "ifconfig -a", "netstat -nr" and "nslookup boinc.berkeley.edu".
There is also a bug in the NetworkManager which shows the wrong state of the interfaces. So you can not trust the state shown on the desktop...

PostPosted: 12. Mar 2009, 21:26 

I will try and clarify.

In Kubuntu x64, Ubuntu x64 and Dotsch 1.0, the installation goes through as expected. At the end of the install I get the progress bar, then the CD ejects and message to press enter comes up. I remove CD press enter and computer reboots. Once rebooted all 3 installs connect to the internet, I can surf, download Broadcom driver, run update manager etc.

In Dotsch 1.1, I have run the Hard Disk install direct from the grub menu and from the Live CD. The install runs no different until it gets to the end of the install except that in the Live CD I get a glfx.info message. At the end of the install, I get the progress bar, however, the CD doesnt eject and message to press enter doesnt come up, computer just reboots. Once rebooted I cannot connect to the internet, in "networks tools" there is nothing listed on any of the tabs, I can't get on the internet using Firefox, nor can I download Broadcom driver. Both network icons on the panel have red crosses on them.

I have tried using steps 1 and 2. In step 2, I have tried setting up network manually and Automatically.

Outputs requested:

boinc@boinc:~$ ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1d:60:a3:da:09
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:17

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2056 (2.0 KB) TX bytes:2056 (2.0 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0f:66:76:c9:47

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-0F-66-76-C9-47-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

boinc@boinc:~$ netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
boinc@boinc:~$

boinc@boinc:~$ nslookup boinc.berkeley.edu
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

I hope this clarifies things.

PostPosted: 12. Mar 2009, 21:38 

SciTechGrid wrote:
The install runs no different until it gets to the end of the install except that in the Live CD I get a glfx.info message."

What for error message excatly ?

Quote:
Once rebooted I cannot connect to the internet, in "networks tools" there is nothing listed on any of the tabs, I can't get on the internet using Firefox, nor can I download Broadcom driver. Both network icons on the panel have red crosses on them.

I have tried using steps 1 and 2. In step 2, I have tried setting up network manually and Automatically.

How excatly have you configured the IPs ? - Via the network manager ? Have you tried to config the IP staticly in the Dotsch/UX hard disk install part 2 ?

What happens, if you try to configure the network manualy on the command line ?
For example :
- "sudo ifconfig eth X.X.X.X" - Change X.X.X.X in the IP of your ethernet interface.
- "sudo route add default gw Y.Y.Y.Y" - Change Y.Y.Y.Y in the IP of your default router.
-

Quote:
Outputs requested:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1d:60:a3:da:09

Thanks for the output. Looks like the ethernet driver is installed.

Post subject: Network problems
PostPosted: 12. Mar 2009, 22:04 

Error Message:

"Sorry the program glxinfo closed unexpectedly"

I tried using step 2 of the Hard Disk install in the applications menu as shown on the Dotsch page here "2.2 HDD Install" - http://www.dotsch.de/boinc/DotschUX-HDD ... ation.html

Outputs from manual config requested:

boinc@boinc:~$ sudo ifconfig eth 192.168.1.100
[sudo] password for boinc:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

boinc@boinc:~$ sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1
SIOCADDRT: No such process

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next