It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:32

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Re: Dotsch/UX 1.1
PostPosted: 12. Mar 2009, 22:31 

Ups, sorry, made a typo. Should be "sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100". Could you please retry the both commands again :
sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100
sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1

PostPosted: 12. Mar 2009, 22:31 

Hi SCi,

You have "sudo ifconfig eth 192.168.1.100", should it be "sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100" ?

PostPosted: 12. Mar 2009, 23:42 

Retried both commands

Got no output in terminal window

Still got red x on network panel icon

Tried firefox, no internet.

PostPosted: 13. Mar 2009, 00:36 

SciTechGrid wrote:
Retried both commands

Got no output in terminal window

Still got red x on network panel icon

Tried firefox, no internet.

Yes. This is the first step. Could you please post the output from the commands "ifconfig -a " and "netstat -nr" and "ping 128.32.18.189" and "traceroute 128.32.18.189".
As a have written in my previous postings, you can not trust the network monitor !

PostPosted: 13. Mar 2009, 09:54 

Sorry, I have spent the best part of a week on this.

I know there are problems with Network Manager and Network Monitor but they are not the problem here, it is a problem during installation that needs addressing.

I tried Xubuntu 8.10 x64 last night and again it installed and ran with no problems. ethernet is there, I can access the internet etc.

I have downloaded 1.1 x64 3 times from Dotsch's ftp and from Andy's http incase there was any problems with the download and tried all 3 installing from Grub and the Live Cd without any success.

I have now tried 3 different versions of Ubuntu x64 - Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu - which use their own versions of network managers, installing direct from the Grub Menu and from the Live CD, in all 6 installs the install completes correctly, the Cd ejects, ethernet works and I can access the internet without running any scripts or entering any settings.

You need to go back and check the install scripts, preseeds etc as the installation doesn't run correctly.

I suspect somewhere after partitioning and either during or after package install the script is broken either by a missing, broken or incorrect package or a bad or missing command in the script.

I will happily test Dotsch again once these problems have been addressed, please contact me when you have a new iso for testing.

PostPosted: 13. Mar 2009, 14:38 

Sorry, it's absolutly not helpfull for me to debug the issues, when you did not provide me the requested output and permanently complain that it works on ...ubuntu but not on Dotsch/UX. I can't reproduce this issue on my systems and so I need your output and more facts to debug it.
A other user has written some hints in a other thread. I guess that he has found the root cause. But without any output from your side I am not able to help you to fix the problems on your system...

PostPosted: 13. Mar 2009, 16:27 

I am obviusly wasting my time here.

I have installed 4 different versions of Ubuntu, three have installed correctly and on reboot everything works without any manual settings, 1 doesn't.

Therefore it is reasonable to asume that it is not a hardware issue and that it is a problem with the install and it would make sense to rebuild the iso checking scripts, presseeds and packages etc.

And I do not "complain that it works on ... ubuntu" I am pointing out that Dotsch is based on the same install but that whatever changes have been made have broken the install.

Sorry for trying to help

PostPosted: 13. Mar 2009, 22:05 

SciTechGrid wrote:

Therefore it is reasonable to asume that it is not a hardware issue and that it is a problem with the install and it would make sense to rebuild the iso checking scripts, presseeds and packages etc.

And I do not "complain that it works on ... ubuntu" I am pointing out that Dotsch is based on the same install but that whatever changes have been made have broken the install.

Sorry for trying to help

Dotsch/UX is a indipendent Linux distribution, which is based on Ubuntu. It's not a Ubunutu clone with a BOINC client. So I have decision to remove a buggy tool or tools which I did not like, like the Network Manager from ubuntu, to remove them.
If you do not mail me the output I have requested several times, I can not help you in any way.

Post subject: Re: Network problems
PostPosted: 22. Mar 2009, 15:36 

I've added a workinstruction for the final solution for the DHCP client problem to the chapter 4 of the documentation on my homepage.

Post subject: Re: Network problems
PostPosted: 5. Apr 2009, 23:05 

chapter 4:
Quote:
• DHCP adderesses would been not automaticly assigned in Dotsch/UX 1.1. Workaround : Edit the config file
/etc/network/interfaces and add the statement „auto ethX“ before each iface statement, save the file and reboot the
system. For example a fixed config file :
auto lo
iface lo iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
auto eth0 iface eth0 dhcp
auto eth1
auto eth1 iface eth0 dhcp

I think the last line s/b (but have no easy way to test it):

Code:
auto eth1 iface eth1 dhcp

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next