It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:33

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Re: Network problems
PostPosted: 10. Apr 2009, 20:48 

I'm new to Linux. Tried to modify that file but was unable to save it. Do I need to logout of the boinc acount to modify that file?

-Bennett

PostPosted: 11. Apr 2009, 04:15 

Ok, figured out how to edit the file with sudo. Still have network problems. I get a good connection with the last version, but want to get this one working if I can.

Any other workarounds to try?

PostPosted: 11. Apr 2009, 07:59 

bennettsweb wrote:
Ok, figured out how to edit the file with sudo. Still have network problems. I get a good connection with the last version, but want to get this one working if I can.

Any other workarounds to try?

I couldn't fine your original post with the problem. Was it the Dotsch/UX server that's not getting a connection?

Is the file you are talking about the /etc/network/interfaces file on the server (not on a disk-less client)?

My server has a static IP so if you're doing the same maybe mine will help. It looks like...

Code:
# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static

address 192.168.218.18
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.218.1
mtu 1492

If I've guessed all wrong about what the problem, is write back and I'll see if I have anything that could help until "the man" can get back to you ;-)

Skip

PostPosted: 11. Apr 2009, 09:04 

thanks - it helped to see an actual interface file. I'm working on an x86 diskless install.

I think I may have had it right the first time, but forgot "ifup". Ended up doing complete reinstall, fixing the interface file and it worked!

Best - Bennett

PostPosted: 11. Apr 2009, 09:16 

bennettsweb wrote:
thanks - it helped to see an actual interface file. I'm working on an x86 diskless install.

I think I may have had it right the first time, but forgot "ifup". Ended up doing complete reinstall, fixing the interface file and it worked!

Best - Bennett

Kewl!

I got my server up a couple weeks ago but just got my first clients up a couple days ago thanks to much help and debugging by Dotsch. Turns out I had two problems... a dhcpd.conf problem and my mac address file names in /diskless/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/$MAC were of the were of the wrong case. I used the Dotsch/UX 1.1 x64 iso.

I also played around with a USB install and have one number cruncher running off of a 4GB USB stick w/ 15 BOINC projects on it.

Wanna buy some old, small used HDDs ;)

Skip

PostPosted: 17. Jul 2009, 23:24 

I have just tried to get two seperate installations of the HDD Server for diskless cluster working. No Joy.
The Servers I want to use are a Dell Optiplex GX110 and a IBM Netfinity 5500 M20.

On the IBM, the installation requires options to control the video mode, but that is
the same as Ubuntu. However, after an otherwise successful install, the NICs are not
active on either system. As reported by others, Ubuntu installs and sees/enables
the NICs without any problem.

The item in the network monitoring applet - "Enable Networking" is checked, and
cannot be unchecked. But neither NIC is reported by ifconfig or listed in the
network configuration applet.

I'm going to try to re-enable the NetworkManager as suggested early in this thread
and will report back. If I have missed any other successful tidbits, please let me know.

Regards, Cliff

PostPosted: 18. Jul 2009, 00:51 

Well, things slightly improved when I renamed the NetworkManager applet link in rc2.d and rebooted. Now the "Enable Networking" checkbox operates properly and the applet appears to detect both the embedded NIC and the add-in Intel Pro 10/100. But there doesn't seem to be any way to really enable the NICs and get them configured from these GUIs. I'm going to try to edit the configuration files to straighten this out, but what a PITA!

Did messing with Ubuntu's excellent support for this older hardware and automatic network configuration really fix some other important issue?
Regards, Cliff

PostPosted: 16. Oct 2009, 22:39 

This ubuntu release of network manager had issues (I've been told they are fixed and I didn't encounter them when I put Jaunty on another machine) and would not work 'out of the box' with my static IPs. Current release of Dotsch/UX also has some issues in the coding of the interfaces file (posted elsewhere). I had to kill network manager and config file it.