It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:45

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: New to Ubuntu, need some assistance
PostPosted: 20. Jun 2009, 20:28 

Hi,
I have a COMPAQ Desktop EVO, P3 733, with 384MB RAM.

I had Windows 2000 on it, but the number crunching with SETI was slow.

So, I decided to try Dotsch/UX. I have installed the system on the hard drive, but as I have never used Linux before, not sure what to do now.

I cannot access the Internet, nor my D-Link router at 192.168.0.1.

Me thinks that the OS does not see the Network Card, which Windows 2000 had no problem detecting and using.

Looking forward to constructive assistance.

Thanks from Joe

Post subject: Re: New to Ubuntu, need some assistance
PostPosted: 23. Jun 2009, 02:19 

Open a terminal (Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal) and enter this command:

Code:
ifconfig -a

Post the output back here.

The other thing that would be helpful to see is the contents of the file:

/etc/network/interfaces

If you could also post that I think we can make short work of this problem.

Skip

PS: BTW, assuming this is a wired NIC card (not wireless) it's probably just a configuration problem not a hardware recognition problem. The release of Ubuntu that this version of Dotsch/UX is based on had some NIC config problems that were quickly fixed but unfortunately you'd need network access to get the fix. I think we can get you past this. Since you are posting I assume you have another computer or have the computer set up to dual boot.

PostPosted: 24. Jun 2009, 02:22 

boinc@dotsch-desktop:~$ ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:a5:25:08:e1
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2120 (2.1 KB) TX bytes:2120 (2.1 KB)

boinc@dotsch-desktop:~$

# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth1 inet dhcp
iface eth2 inet dhcp
iface eth3 inet dhcp

Thanks for any assistance that you can provide.

Joe

PostPosted: 24. Jun 2009, 02:31 

Hi,
Judging from the info I provided, it would seem that no IP address is being created for this OS. IP addresses are automatically generated for the other Windows systems on my network, thus;

192.168.0.100 STORAGE-11C5
192.168.0.101 LRXP
192.168.0.102 P3733
192.168.0.108 LRDELLXP

I have the Ubuntu OS duel booting with Win98 on the P3733 [192.168.0.102], so if I could get the Ubuntu OS to obtain an IP address, that may solve the problem. As I said, though, this is my first time with a Linux system, so not sure what needs to be corrected.

Thanks again from Joe

PostPosted: 24. Jun 2009, 04:52 

jlcaverly wrote:
boinc@dotsch-desktop:~$ ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:a5:25:08:e1
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

boinc@dotsch-desktop:~$

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth1 inet dhcp
iface eth2 inet dhcp
iface eth3 inet dhcp

Thanks for any assistance that you can provide.

Joe

The problem is here in the /etc/network/interfaces file. Here's what that file looks like on the machine I'm on right now (Ubuntu v8.10, 64b):

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

Edit your file to look like mine except use "eth0" where mine has "eth1" as I see your NIC is recognized as eth0 (as it should be... I goobered mine up trying to fix almost the same problem you are having).

or in other words... insert this line:
Code:
auto eth0
in front of the line
Code:
iface eth0 inet dhcp
and delete the rest of the NIC entries (assuming you only have one NIC port).

The above should get you an IP address on reboot or restart of networking with:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

In DHCP (or your router) is your machine set to pick up 'next available' IP address or is there an assigned IP that it always gets? I think you are saying it's a fixed ip that it always gets. I suspect you need to add the 'new' machine to your router/dhcp tables to give assign it an IP address (192.168.0.103 in my example). IF you don't care about it getting a fixed IP address then you can forget this whole part starting with the /etc/hosts file... but it sorta sounds like that's what you have for the windoze version of the machine... remember to the router/dhcp these are two different machines.

If pre-assigned (fixed but not static) and you have your dhcp set to give the ip of 192.168.0.103 to the machine named dotsch-desktop then you should have entries in /etc/hosts l

Code:
27.0.0.1   dotsch-desktop localhost
127.0.1.1   dotsch-desktop
192.168.0.103   dotsch-desktop

# servers (optional to use hosts so this machine knows the 'name' of these computers)
192.fixed.ip2  crunch34       # dostsch/ux & dhcp server
192.fixed.ip3  crunch20       # apt-cacher, samba, domain browser

This works exactly the same as the hosts file in windoze. In XP, if i remember correctly, it's located in /windows/system32/misc/hosts but I don't know where it is in Win2K.

PostPosted: 24. Jun 2009, 14:01 

Hi,
I made the changes to the interfaces file, but when I tried to save it, it gives the message "You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file".

I am logged in as boinc.

Also, my IP Addresses are not fixed IP addresses.

Joe

PostPosted: 24. Jun 2009, 16:45 

jlcaverly wrote:
Hi,
I made the changes to the interfaces file, but when I tried to save it, it gives the message "You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file".

I am logged in as boinc.

ah, ok. Open a terminal and do....
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

jlcaverly wrote:
Also, my IP Addresses are not fixed IP addresses.
Joe

Then just ignore all that bla bla bla starting with /etc/hosts.

PostPosted: 24. Jun 2009, 19:18 

Hi,
I'm writing this message from the Firefox Browser via Ubuntu. Thus, your instructions got this system connected to the Internet. Thanks!

However, the taskbar at the top of the screen has an X in the PC icon beside the speaker, and when I hold the mouse over it, it says "Networking Disabled".

I can access all of the other PCs on my home network, so not sure what "Networking Disabled" means, as I can connect to systems via the LAN and WAN.

I've connected to the SETI Project, and it's started to download, but looks like things are still not right, as it says project servers may be down, which seems to be a common occurrence after Tuesday's project maintenance.

Once everything starts working again at SETI home base, the program should start processing work units.

Also, I cannot get over how FAST this system is compared to Windows 98 and Windows 2000, which I have run on this PC. Even from a fresh install of Win98 or W2K, this computer never ran this fast.

Me thinks I should consider looking into Ubuntu further.

Thanks again from Joe.

PostPosted: 25. Jun 2009, 01:00 

jlcaverly wrote:
Hi,
I'm writing this message from the Firefox Browser via Ubuntu. Thus, your instructions got this system connected to the Internet. Thanks!

However, the taskbar at the top of the screen has an X in the PC icon beside the speaker, and when I hold the mouse over it, it says "Networking Disabled".

I can access all of the other PCs on my home network, so not sure what "Networking Disabled" means, as I can connect to systems via the LAN and WAN.

I've connected to the SETI Project, and it's started to download, but looks like things are still not right, as it says project servers may be down, which seems to be a common occurrence after Tuesday's project maintenance.

Once everything starts working again at SETI home base, the program should start processing work units.

Also, I cannot get over how FAST this system is compared to Windows 98 and Windows 2000, which I have run on this PC. Even from a fresh install of Win98 or W2K, this computer never ran this fast.

Me thinks I should consider looking into Ubuntu further.

Thanks again from Joe.

Joe, That is GREAT to hear.

Yea, the 'lighter on it's feet' was right behind 'free' in my decision to start using Xunbuntu on some dedicated crunchers back at the end of '07. That morphed into Ubuntu now being my main desktop OS.

That red "x" ... I have it too... It's a byproduct of a bug in the gnome network manager that came in release v8.10 of Ubuntu. Because of that but Dotsch/UX had the network manager disabled I believe. In true Ubuntu it also broke static IP addresses which is what I had at the time. They did send out a fix for it. Since I (and now you) have the problem resolved I never went back to figure out how to apply the fix... it might be as simple as running the dpkg-reconfigure on the gnome-network manager. If I get time to check it out and figure out how to apply the fix I'll post it back up here.

Maybe I can give my brother a call as he wasn't using static IPs and applied the fix w/o problems. That'll be right after the bum get's my website's download page updated. He's whining about his A/C being broken and his computer room being 99F. Like that's an excuse or something. My 'server oven' is over 100F. Well, then, I guess I don't actually work in there and I do have an A/C and a backup A/C in my garage office. He actually pretends to work in his computer room. ;)

SETI - A very good reason to have at LEAST two projects attached to BOINC. If interests lie in the 'space' research area I'd take a look at Milkyway at home, Cosmology at home or maybe Einstein at home as backup projects to keep the box warm.