It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:42

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: New version of Dotsch/UX coming soon?
PostPosted: 11. Nov 2010, 00:47 

First, I'd like to thank everyone involved with the creation of Dotsch/UX. It has been instrumental in setting up my farm of machines for BOINC projects.

I saw that one of the highest priorities was to produce a version of Dotsch/UX that used Ubuntu 10.x LTS as the base install. Is there any idea on when this would actually happen? Is it currently in development?

Thanks,

-Josh

Post subject: Re: New version of Dotsch/UX coming soon?
PostPosted: 15. Nov 2010, 10:27 

Dotsch/UX 2.0 is in the moment in development and alpha status. But, I am very bussy with other things(developing in a new BOINC project) and also to less volunteers which help me, the thing go slower as thought.
In the moment, a Dotsch/UX (2.0) prototype is used as BOINC server...

PostPosted: 21. Nov 2010, 10:11 

I look forward to all of the cool new stuff in version 2.0 Thanks for a wonderful package!

PostPosted: 6. Dec 2010, 23:12 

Thank you !

Cool Rack. Does they all running with Dotsch/UX ? Are they running as diskless systems?

In the moment, I am developing...
The Ubuntu 10.04 LTS as base has got a lot of changes, and so the diskless setup, CUDA, boot process and some more things need to developed and tested. I hope, that I can release a alpha in several weeks.

PostPosted: 11. Dec 2010, 18:51 

Thanks,

two units at top are primary and backup servers with drives.. the other 6 are running diskless. when I have all six nodes booted I think I am running into NFS bandwidth issues. 5 seems to run without a problem. With six booted I get Kernel Panic randomly on different nodes. I don't think it's a network issue, everything is Gigabit. I think it's a IDE drive data transfer speed issue on the server. I have 2 - 160 gig IDE drives. The "diskless" partition is mounted to drive 2 (sdb). The rest of the system is mounted to drive 1 (sda).

These were all salvaged (free) motherboards each with 2 - Xeon 3.2ghz (hyperthreaded) CPU's and 3 gig ECC. Total logical CPU's = 32 Total Ram= 24 gig. I had to supply Power Supplies and build wind tunnels for the CPU fans.Unfortunately these are server boards they have only very basic ATI video on borad. However there is one PCI slot on these boards and I found a PCI GeForce 8400GT for $32.00. That would give each node 16 GPU stream processors plus the 4 CPU. I can also get a PCI 9500GT with 32 stream processors for $89.

What are your thoughts?

Peter

PS: With 2 servers, 5 nodes, and 1 workstation my Boinc RAC in last day is 37,075 :)

PostPosted: 14. Dec 2010, 10:17 

Cool setup.

For the crash problem, I recommend you to setup the included Ganglia Performance Monitoring systems on all diskless servers and diskless nodes. So you can have a exact look at the network bandwith.
Could you please generate some debug infos with "sudo /opt/dotsch_ux/bin/getsysinfo.sh" after one or more crashed diskless systems and mail me the output.

PostPosted: 15. Dec 2010, 19:35 

I have started a new thread for troubleshooting the NFS issue.. dotsch-f16/random-kernel-panic-with-more-than-diskless-clients-t79.html

Thanks