It is currently 20. Oct 2017, 09:07

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: USB boot
PostPosted: 9. Mar 2009, 18:21 

Hello. I stumbled onto this os about a few weeks ago. I've been tinkering with it trying to get it setup on a few usb drives with mixed results. First things first, I have some PCs that are not on the network. Will I be able to use the boot usb on an offline pc and plug it into an online pc to upload and download work? That is my reason for trying this OS out.
I have 3 USB drives that I am trying to get to work currently. All of them are above 2gb. I followed the directions on how to create and it was successful, but I receive different messages with all of them after I attempt to boot. On one of the flash drives I get a message Syslinux 3.63 Boot: The other two I get a message of invalid or damaged bootable partition or missing operating system. Is there something that I'm not doing correctly in the setup?

Ok while writing this I tried one of my USB drives again and the one getting the invalid or damaged boot part message worked on a different machine than the one I was trying. It worked on a lenovo t60, but not on a dell latitude e6400. I'm not sure why that would be..

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: USB boot
PostPosted: 9. Mar 2009, 20:55 

humanity wrote:
Hello. I stumbled onto this os about a few weeks ago. I've been tinkering with it trying to get it setup on a few usb drives with mixed results. First things first, I have some PCs that are not on the network. Will I be able to use the boot usb on an offline pc and plug it into an online pc to upload and download work? That is my reason for trying this OS out.

For some projects with HR could this movement of USB sticks produce problems and invalid results. Specialy, when you try to move between differnt CPU architectures. Not shure, what happens with the BOINC client, you would eventualy get some problems with the host id's. But I am not shure I have never tested to do this what you want to do.
I recommend you to use diskless network clients and boot them from the server and transport the data throught the proxy server to the internet.

Quote:
I have 3 USB drives that I am trying to get to work currently. All of them are above 2gb. I followed the directions on how to create and it was successful, but I receive different messages with all of them after I attempt to boot. On one of the flash drives I get a message Syslinux 3.63 Boot: The other two I get a message of invalid or damaged bootable partition or missing operating system. Is there something that I'm not doing correctly in the setup?

Ok while writing this I tried one of my USB drives again and the one getting the invalid or damaged boot part message worked on a different machine than the one I was trying. It worked on a lenovo t60, but not on a dell latitude e6400. I'm not sure why that would be..

Such behaviors are mostly BIOS/USB releated compatibility problems.
You can eventualy try to power off the system via plug the power cord and restart the system 10 seconds later. One of my older PCs has this problem sometimes, too...
Do you have some details about the USB sticks and used BIOSes ?

Post subject: Re: USB boot
PostPosted: 10. Mar 2009, 07:03 

Dotsch wrote:
Such behaviors are mostly BIOS/USB releated compatibility problems.
You can eventualy try to power off the system via plug the power cord and restart the system 10 seconds later. One of my older PCs has this problem sometimes, too...
Do you have some details about the USB sticks and used BIOSes ?

Thanks for the response. The option of diskless network clients isn't an option in the environment I'm at.

The bios on the dell e6400 is A12. This laptop is really new so I'm not sure why it is being picky, but after some testing tonight i was able to get one to work. I used diskpart on my windows box to create an active boot on the usb drive and that seemed to get me the ability to boot. Right now I'm in the process of testing the first question i had and will post it here once i find out.

Post subject: Re: USB boot, instruction clarification
PostPosted: 5. Apr 2009, 22:18 

A minor update for the USB instructions.

Applying the 'idiot test' (me doing it)... I hesitated between these two steps:

• After the installation, reboot the system, remove the CD from the drive and set the USB stick as bootable device
in the BIOS and boot from the USB stick.

• Now, the USB stick must be customised for BOINC. Please start the BOINC USB installer by selecting
Applications / Dotsch/UX USB Tools / Install Dotsch/UX on the USB Stick (2. Step) from, the applications menu

The reason being that when you reboot from the USB it looks just like a Live-CD boot and so you are ask if you want to Install Ubuntu, Try Ubuntu.. etc. etc. - I chose "Try..."... we'll see if that was correct shortly. To make it 'idiot proof' it should clearly state the proper response to any questions ask in the process.

Also... some possible additional info on the 1st of the above two steps. Many BIOSs don't just give you an option to "Boot from USB". You have to choose a USB Device type. On my Gigabyte P45 mobo (setting it up here, this will not the machine that uses it) you are given choices of USB-floppy, USB-zip, USB-CDROM and USB-HDD. After trying floppy and CD-ROM w/o any luck. I found that the USB stick was actually shown in the sub-menu for 'order of HDDs for booting'. So obviously the setting s/b USB-HDD and then set the USB-HDD to the first HDD to boot from. So maybe to that step one could add: "(If given options on type of USB boot device select USB-HDD and set device to be 1st boot HDD.)"

I hope this is helpful, Skip

PS: Will check/test this with another mobo/BIOS in a few minutes. UPDATE: On another machine (ASUS Pxx-xx, G31) I had to first set the 1st bootable device = removable and then set the USB type to "forced as FDD" to get it to boot.

UPDATE: I wonder if users of Dotsch_UX USB stick version would contribute to a list of the various BIOS settings needed by mobo/chipset? Something like:

Gigabyte, GA-EP45-UD3R, P45 - set 1st boot device = USB-HDD, in HDD boot priority set USB-HDD to top of HDD boot priority
Asus, P5KPL-CM, G31 - set 1st boot device = removable, set removable device type = Forced FDD

Last edited by Skip Da Shu on 6. Apr 2009, 22:59, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: How I got USB boot to work on an older PC for dotsch UX 1.2
PostPosted: 23. Aug 2011, 19:18 

Hi

To get mine to work, I had to pre-format the USB disc to FAT16 and ensure it was blank before following the instructions on the Dotsch/UX site. Without this step, it failed.

To boot I had to ensure the PC was entirely OFF (turned off at the wall) before booting. If it had been on before, e.g., off but not off at the wall, or I had pressed "reboot" (warm reboot), it would not boot. Everytime I need to boot, I need to turn it off at the wall.

I hope this helps someone out there who also has old equipment they are trying to use with BOINC and Dotsch UX (which is fantastic!!!).