It is currently 20. Oct 2017, 09:07

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Very useful.
PostPosted: 27. Feb 2009, 20:06 

This is a great idea and it's very useful. There exists a computer that I use almost every day that I would not want to install on. It's great to be able to run Boinc without an install. There are some exceptions that I made to personalize it a little bit.

I used the disk partitioner to make a swap drive and a partition for the boinc home folder. I would like some easy way of changing the hostname. Whenever I boot up, I always kill the boinc process, so that I can change the hostname, move /home/boinc to /home/boinc.old, create a new /home/boinc and mount my hard drive partition to the new boinc folder. Of course, then I have to remember to start the boinc process back up. Having home on a local partition helps to retain jobs that don't have time to finish in between boots.

It's just a few extra steps when I boot up off of the cd. I don't want to leave my thumb drive lying around or I would use it.

Having a personal home folder allows for me to keep my settings. I use the same background as I do on my Windows install and I set the display for dual monitors.

One thing I would like to see is gkrellm installed.

Keep up the good work with this live-cd. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Very useful.
PostPosted: 1. Mar 2009, 13:45 

Thank you very much for your feedback.

The overwriting of the hostname and network configuration is a bug, which is fixed in Dotsch/UX 1.1.

A persistent live CD mode with USB stick support and a persistent home directory from a other media (USB/HDD/NFS/CIFS) is on my todo list.
Are you interested to help me to test this new features ?

In the moment, I am still working on Dotsch/UX 1.1. In the moment I am in a feature freeze, till the next version (1.1) was released. But, after the release of Dotsch/UX 1.1 the persistence is on my highest priorities.

PostPosted: 8. Mar 2009, 16:09 

I've released Dotsch/UX 1.1 which fixes the hostname problem.

PostPosted: 12. Mar 2009, 23:37 

Well, I tried out 11_i386 and I ran into these issues.

On 10 the network worked for me right off of boot up. On 11 I have to manually start dhclient.

On 10 all I had to do to change the hostname was to logout, change it in safe terminal and log back in. On 11, I have to run /etc/init.d/hostname.sh, which, I guess is how it should be anyways.

The dhcp network start up is my biggest concern.

It's probably better to email me with time sensitive queries. So many forums, so little time. I'll be willing to test the next one.