It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:40

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: wish: include java 6 runtime for certain projects
PostPosted: 7. May 2011, 19:01 

Request that you include java 1.6 (java 6 ?) in your distribution and set the path to the executable. I added the boinc project distributeddatamining to my boinc farm as they are doing medical data analysis which seems to be a beneficial tool.

They require java. I used the synaptic program to obtain the jdk on 3 Dotsch systems as I assume the jdk is needed. Not all packages loaded. I attempted to change the repository and I promptly lost all packages when I clicked on "reload". When I reverted back to the original depository the packages are still lost. I did not attempt to change the depository on the other Dotsch systems as I was afraid the packages would all get lost like the first system.

I probably caused the problem. However, boinc runs fine along with the gpu and all the other apps are being processed just fine.

I think 1.2 must be out of date. Possibly something got corrupted and a signature or signing or key must have been lost which causes the repositories not to work anymore.

IANE on linux support problems and I detached from that project as I cannot get java to work under Dotsch 1.2.. From this discussion it is not clear whether the 32bit or the 64bit works best. I do have ia32 libraries loaded so I assume the 32bit java is best.

FWIW, I tried ubuntu release 11.04-64 and then uninstall-ed it as I never got CUDA to work with a GTX460. I was able to replace that neuveau (?) driver with the nVidia driver, but BOINC never recognized the GPU even though the nVidia latest driver was loaded using the nVidia ubuntu instructions. I went back to Dotsch 1.2 and pulled that gtx460. That neuveau driver comes with the default ubuntu 11.x release but is a long way from CUDA support according to what I have been reading on the web.

If there is anything I can help you with, testing, etc, let me know. I was able to modify the stock ubuntu hardware sensors applet to report cpu & gpu temperatures back to BoincTasks on a windows box, but that was a straight-forward "C" program that was easily modified. I am not a systems expert on linux and if the repositories dont work I am stuck.

best regards