It is currently 21. Nov 2017, 03:24

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Re: WOW! + Noob questions
PostPosted: 19. Mar 2009, 18:40 

Quote:
Can I specify a static IPs for each client? Can I have the client IPs assigned by MAC in the router or would this now be handled by the OS image server?
Normaly the diskless IPs are numbered sequential, but you can reconfigure it be edit the dhcpd.conf and the /etc/exports.
But, I am not shure, I think that a second DHCP server in the subnet can eventualy produce some failures. The DHCP server in Dotsch/UX sends a lot of diskless specific parameters to the clients...
I need to understand this better. I'll do some more reading.
Today I have other machines on my LAN that have their IP (by MAC) set by the DHCP server built into my router. They are in the range 10 thru 17.
Then crunchers are static IPs. They are in the range of 19 thru 33. To help me keep my sanity they are IP'd to their name... for example the machine named "C31" has an IP that ends in 31. Then in my desktop's 'hosts' file I set C31 to 192.168.xxx.31 to eliminate any need for DNS name resolution. The boinc manager is usually invoked from this desktop.
I am hoping there is a way to have all the diskless clients use static IPs. Could this be an option on the 'add_diskless_client' script display?
I have got to made some tests, if this is posible. But I think, that a static IP should be posible with some modifications in the script.
But, the way I use is very simliar. A MAC address of the diskless would be bound to a hostname (also added in the /etc/hosts) and as IP the next free IP from the defined diskless IP pool would be used.

In my /etc/hosts file on my Ubuntu desktop and in the windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file when it's booted to WinXP I have entries like:
127.0.0.1 c17-desktop localhost
127.0.1.1 c17-desktop

192.168.200.33 crunch33
192.168.200.31 crunch31
192.168.200.30 crunch30
192.168.200.20 crunch20 (network browswer, samba server & BOINC cruncher)
192.168.200.19 crunch19 (to be new dotsch/UX server)
192.168.200.17 c17-desktop

On the work laptop (WinXP) I have in the ...drivers/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.200.17 c17-desktop (points to desktop)
192.168.200.20 crunch20 (shared network storage)

Quote:
PS: Most certainly most folks are using the DHCP from their router. How do you suggest I get around this problem of having two DHCP servers? Is this why you use the proxy?
The proxy servers was thought as a posibility to make a isolated network for the diskless clients and the diskless server and route the http traffic throught the diskless server into a second network (DMZ), for example with the internet router, to the outside. But, this is excatly the way which you can also use for the setup with two DHCP servers....
I will made some more tests with such a setup, and check what's happening. But I think that two DHCP servers make a lot of problems...

Btw. as a alternative for you problem, what is to disable the DHCP server on your router, and let the diskless server assign the IPs to your Windows hosts ? - Should be no problem with additional host entries in the dhcp.conf, and change the subnet directive from .10 to .32 in the dhcpd.conf. Also the IP Range in the diskless.conf should be not been changed(keep it from 19..32), that my scripts for the diskless stuff still keep working...

Frankly at this point I don't care about the proxy stuff if I am not REQUIRED to use it. If I can get this working w/o it I can go back to 'proxies' later.

Ich verstehe jetzt uber den DHCP server. I will get the server machine up and running first with it set as a static IP (/etc/network/interfaces).
Code:
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.200.19
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.200.1
mtu 1492

Then before I add any diskless clients I'll try to configure DHCPd.conf, start that and disable the DHCP server in the router. Does the gateway remain as 192.168.200.1, which is the router?

For the non-dedicated crunchers I will use MAC address assigned IPs in DHCPd.conf. Something like:
Code:
host C17-Desktop {
  hardware ethernet 00:45:40:10:FE:1C;
  fixed-address 192.168.200.17;

Let me know how you think I should configure the diskless clients please?

PostPosted: 19. Mar 2009, 19:16 

Skip Da Shu wrote:
Ich verstehe jetzt uber den DHCP server. I will get the server machine up and running first with it set as a static IP (/etc/network/interfaces).
Code:
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.200.19
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.200.1
mtu 1492

Then before I add any diskless clients I'll try to configure DHCPd.conf, start that and disable the DHCP server in the router. Does the gateway remain as 192.168.200.1, which is the router?

Yes, 192.168.200.1 is still the default gateway.

Quote:
For the non-dedicated crunchers I will use MAC address assigned IPs in DHCPd.conf. Something like:
Code:
host C17-Desktop {

At the end you need a "}" to end the statement. for example :
Code:
host C17-Desktop {
}

PostPosted: 21. Mar 2009, 17:24 

Alright the Dotsch/UX OS is installed on a freshly built cruncher! It's talking to my apt-cacher just fine and it's running a static IP. I did notice the thing somebody else was talking about... the CD not ejecting at the end of OS install but all my initial network problems were tied to my /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf not being executable when I copied them off of my USB stick. Which I eventually figured out.

I've a few new questions:

1) The only user id I can sign on with is "boinc" with a password of "boinc". Is this how it should be? System->Admini->Users & Groups tool doesn't show any user called "boinc" but it's obviously the default admin user?? How do I change boinc's password?

2) What can I do to replace my command(s) CANCEL THIS ONE ... just remembered I read in debian boinc dev mailist about the name changing... another "duh Skip!". However, "restart" seems to only to execute the "stop" function. Should I report to deb-boinc-dev?
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/boinc-client/boinc-client stop|start|restart|status

3) Are the BOINC 6.4.5 integer benchmarks intentionally much lower than the 6.2.1x benchmarks (floating point seem a bit higher)? Haupt! Schnell! Put on your "Berkeley lederhosen" (as in, I know this isn't really a Dotsch/UX question, so please ignore if you'd like... it's not very important anyway).

I have a 'family' thing going on this afternoon but will pick back up again tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by Skip Da Shu on 22. Mar 2009, 10:13, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: 22. Mar 2009, 07:33 

After re-reading the HDD installation AGAIN... It finally sunk in that you were telling me to say "yes" to "configure the network?" and I would get a "manual" gui option. I did not do this but responded "no" and did it really manually with the 3 previously mentioned files (hosts, resolv.conf, interfaces). It's up and working with a static IP but that's as far as I've gone. If I need to reinstall the OS and reconfigure it via this gui please let me know before I go further. Right now I think I might be OK but maybe there are other parms needed someplace that I didn't build??

Here's it's ifconfig -a. Looks OK to me but I think u r the better judge of that.
Code:
boinc@crunch34:~$ ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:24:1d:11:64:2d 
          inet addr:192.168.218.34  Bcast:192.168.218.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::224:1dff:fe11:642d/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
          RX packets:301 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:77 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:24204 (24.2 KB)  TX bytes:5870 (5.8 KB)
          Interrupt:253

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:760 (760.0 B)  TX bytes:760 (760.0 B)

I also think it finally sunk through my thick skull WHY static IPs for the diskless clients can never work... perhaps pseudo-static (as in MAC assigned) but not true manual static IPs... duh Skip!

PostPosted: 22. Mar 2009, 13:10 

Skip Da Shu wrote:
1) The only user id I can sign on with is "boinc" with a password of "boinc". Is this how it should be? System->Admini->Users & Groups tool doesn't show any user called "boinc" but it's obviously the default admin user?? How do I change boinc's password?

The default user is the user boinc. With the command "passwd" you can change the users password.

Via System/Administration/Users and groups you can add new users.

Quote:
2) What can I do to replace my command(s) CANCEL THIS ONE ... just remembered I read in debian boinc dev mailist about the name changing... another "duh Skip!". However, "restart" seems to only to execute the "stop" function. Should I report to deb-boinc-dev?
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/boinc-client/boinc-client stop|start|restart|status

I am using the offical BOINC client from Berkeley, because it's in my sight more stable and clearer than that was the Ubuntu and debian guys do. I have placed the startup of the BOINC client within a daemon which would automaticly restart the BOINC client after an exit. The right command is "sudo /etc/init.d/boinc stop|start|restart".

Quote:
3) Are the BOINC 6.4.5 integer benchmarks intentionally much lower than the 6.2.1x benchmarks (floating point seem a bit higher)? Haupt! Schnell! Put on your "Berkeley lederhosen" (as in, I know this isn't really a Dotsch/UX question, so please ignore if you'd like... it's not very important anyway).

Hm, I have not looked at this. The most projects does fixed credits, for the other slightly changes in the benchmarks are not relevant. - So far I know is the only difference between 6.2.x and 6.4.x the implementation of the CUDA support.

Edit: I've checked your network config, and everything looks OK for me. No need to install anything new or different...

PostPosted: 23. Mar 2009, 04:55 

Dotsch wrote:
I am using the offical BOINC client from Berkeley, because it's in my sight more stable and clearer than that was the Ubuntu and debian guys do. I have placed the startup of the BOINC client within a daemon which would automaticly restart the BOINC client after an exit. The right command is "sudo /etc/init.d/boinc stop|start|restart".

But does this work for you??? Only executes "stop" for me.
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/boinc restart
"start" and "stop" work though.

PS: I suspect this has something to do with there not being a /home/boinc/boinc.pid file in existence.

The "log_action_msg" is also wrong:
Code:
boinc@crunch34:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/boinc
 * Usage: /etc/init.d/boinc {start|stop|reload}
boinc@crunch34:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/boinc reload
 * Usage: /etc/init.d/boinc {start|stop|reload}
boinc@crunch34:~$
s/b
Code:
log_action_msg "Usage: /etc/init.d/boinc {start|stop|restart}"

Last edited by Skip Da Shu on 23. Mar 2009, 11:33, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 23. Mar 2009, 10:37 

Quote:
you can reconfigure it be edit the dhcpd.conf and the /etc/exports.

Does /etc/exports get populated AFTER I add the first diskless client? Right now it's all comments.

Last edited by Skip Da Shu on 24. Mar 2009, 01:09, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 23. Mar 2009, 10:43 

Does /diskless/master.x64/home/boinc really need to contain the following empty folders or can I deleted them?

Documents
Music
Pictures
Public
Templates
VIdeos

PostPosted: 24. Mar 2009, 02:22 

I have been struggling through out this thread with the dhcp side of this and I just realized I may have a mental block because of how I currently handle remote access to the 'headless' Xubuntu crunchers. Today in my world, they are all static IP (or MAC assigned) because I have to have it that way to get to their x11vncserver from my desktop machine. This allows me remote access to their LOGIN screen. The default operation with Ubuntu seems a bit different. The remote desktop viewer seems to be built into something below X11, so the remote machine has to be logged on already to gain access to it. This would seem to require me to leave them logged on all the time OR to try and figure out how to build the x11vnc server into the image of the OS they get (package + /etc/gdm/Init/Default & gdm.conf config changes).

If you let the dhcp3-server assign the 'next available' IP address a remote desktop on the same lan (subnet) would not know what IP any particular hostname is running under, would it? Therefore you can't assign it in your /etc/hosts file. So how do you specify the machine when using remote desktop viewer (or vncviewer in windoze)? I think what I'm asking here is now does name resolution occur in a mixed windows/linux network when the IPs are not MAC assigned or static?

I need to go remove some entries from my /etc/hosts file and confirm that my ubuntu desktop machine will not know who "crunch21" is w/o that entry. I'm fairly sure when it's running WinXP it can not resolve the hostname to IP address w/o the hosts file entry.

This is the whole reason for my attempt to make the diskless clients conform to pre-assigned IP addresses as they do not normally have a monitor/mouse/keyboard hooked to them so must be accessed remotely via VNC. If there's any easier way to get to them remotely and just let the DHCP server assigned whatever the next available IP is please let me know.

Thanx, Skip

PostPosted: 25. Mar 2009, 19:01 

Skip Da Shu wrote:
Quote:
you can reconfigure it be edit the dhcpd.conf and the /etc/exports.

Does /etc/exports get populated AFTER I add the first diskless client? Right now it's all comments.

There is a blank /etc/exports with some sample entries, if you add a diskless client the NFS share will added in the /etc/exports.