It is currently 16. Dec 2018, 07:55

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Raspberry Pi
PostPosted: 5. Feb 2012, 12:37 

Hi all,

I am following the development of the Raspberry Pi minicomputer, and I am thinking about building a little cluster of these and running BOINC on them.

They are twice as powerful as an iPhone 4S, and consume about 3.5 - 5W.

The thing is that they are running on an ARM processor from Broadcom.

I wanted to ask if it would be possible to get DotschUX ready for an ARM processor?

I saw that Ubuntu is currently working on an ARM version. Their work might be useful in the porting!

Or does this already exist? Am I missing something?

Post subject: Re: Raspberry Pi
PostPosted: 12. Feb 2012, 14:41 

The probem on the ARM CPUs is, that they are not very suitable for the floating point operations like on the most BOINC projects. There are some BOINC projects, which uses Integer only, they look promising for the ARM CPU.
Also, there is no BOINC project, which support ARM. My tests with SETI showed a lot of different problems on the ARM CPU. The application ran not very well. I hope, that I can also have an try with SIMAP, which is a integer based application.

Since there is so a less support for the ARM CPUs, it makes not sense to port Dotsch/UX to ARM.

Post subject: Re: Raspberry Pi
PostPosted: 12. Feb 2012, 16:41 

Ok, I thought that these were the general concerns, but still wanted to know if it was possible.

I have posted on the raspberry pi official forum, and got about the same answers.

Still, if I get my hands on a R-Pi (hopefully one of the first batch), I will try to run boinc with Debian and see how it goes. Even if it is just for the fun of doing it!

Thanks for your answer though :)