It is currently 19. Sep 2017, 22:49

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: x86_64
PostPosted: 3. Feb 2009, 20:15 

Hello
Firstly I would like to thanks all the dev of this distribution !

And I would like to know when do you think you will be able to provide a 64b version ? (I'm sure this will be very nice !)

I've tried to do it by my self last year for my team (Alliance Francophone)
But I got some issues with BOINC, It did'nt want to connect. Anyway, I haven't try that much. I should may be...or may be not anymore thank to you.

Then, If you need some help for this version, may be I can help. Anyway I will be glad to test this version.

Thank you

Post subject: Re: x86_64
PostPosted: 3. Feb 2009, 20:23 

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I am working on the x64 distribution and the implementation of the mixed 32/64 diskless clients on one single diskless server in the moment. I hope, that I have finished it within in the next two weeks.
I am very happy, if you can (alpha/beta) test the new x64 release.

Btw. do you have any field expirance reports from users which has tested the HDD, USB or Diskless server/client setup ?

PostPosted: 3. Feb 2009, 22:09 

Hi !
I'm very glad of your delay to reply :D

Well, It would be with pleasure to help you for the alpha/beta 64b !

Unfortunatly, no one in my Team in my mind had tested your version. They are waiting for the 64b in order to boost their RAC :mrgreen: I'm sure the USB setup will be highly appreciated !

I will post a message to know.

Do you have any log about what did you change in your version compare to ubuntu ?

PostPosted: 6. Feb 2009, 08:38 

dudumomo wrote:
Well, It would be with pleasure to help you for the alpha/beta 64b !

I will inform you, when the alpha is ready to test...

Quote:
Do you have any log about what did you change in your version compare to ubuntu ?

Yes. Primarly it's a striped down, for memory, CPU, and disk space optimized Ubuntu 8.10. A lot of packages are removed and a lot of unneeded daemons are disabled. Additionaly I have written a lot of tools for the USB/HDD/diskless server/client integration, made customized kernels and modified the boot mechanism.
But et al, it's no difference to Ubuntu. Users can use apt-get or synaptics to update the OS. So users can upgrade/customize the OS to there needs.

PostPosted: 6. Feb 2009, 13:01 

OKay thank you ! I'm looking forward your version :D

PostPosted: 6. Feb 2009, 17:49 

I wonder how did you install BOINC on the live CD ?
And which version is it ?

PostPosted: 7. Feb 2009, 13:26 

dudumomo wrote:
I wonder how did you install BOINC on the live CD ?
And which version is it ?

The Live CD mode is not implementated in the moment. But the extension is on my todo list. The current Live CD mode it's only for installing the OS on a hard disk or a USB stick. All data would be stored in the RAM and lost after a reboot.
For the new (planed) Live CD mode I have the idea, that the OS after boot from CDROM the user can setup a persistant data store at a external USB stick, hard disk or on a network share. After the next boot, the Live CD would search for the external data storage and mount it automaticly and start the BOINC client...

At Dotsch/UX 1.0 is the BOINC client 6.2.15 installed. But the next release would be bundled 6.4.5.
I have also updated the documentation by a guide to upgrade the BOINC client in Dotsch/UX....