It is currently 22. Aug 2017, 09:22

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: SETI@home+Astropulse porting wishes
PostPosted: 2. Dec 2008, 21:59 

Do you missing a SETI@home or Astropulse application for your platform ?
Are there any porting wishes ?

Post subject: Re: SETI@home+Astropulse porting wishes
PostPosted: 21. Jul 2011, 19:39 

Yes. I have a Tablet-PC runing Android (v.2.2) and it would be great for all that phones out there. But do me a favor and if released, don´t simply put it only to google´s market place cause that market place isn´t acessible for my tablet and i know more people having problems with that. Just put the file here for download, too.
Alternately, what about doing the whole in Java? Or a website acessible from any device giving the devices browser the workunit of selected projects and reciving the results (and so on) while staying on that website?

Post subject: Re: SETI@home+Astropulse porting wishes
PostPosted: 22. Jul 2011, 09:17 

About 1 or 2 years ago, I requested some testers and help for the Linux ARM port on the SETI forums. Some weeks ago I got one awnser to test the SETI application and the BOINC client. So I hope that we can release a application for Linux on ARM anytime.

But, the mobile and pad devices has the problem, that a high CPU usage can result in overheating and short battery lives. So its your own risk to install BOINC and SETI on such devices.
The other problem is, that the ARM devices has not very fast CPUs, some has no FP unit. So the big question is, will it work, and will it work fast(completed within the deadline).

The porting in java is not very easy. The SETI application is written in C++, BOINC in C, so a complete code rewrite is required. I guess that its a lot of slower in Java like an C/C++ application.