It is currently 15. Nov 2018, 13:49

Tools: Calendar Calendar   Games Games   Gallery Gallery   Downloads Downloads   

All times are UTC + 1 hour

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: IP addresses on diskless client?
PostPosted: 29. Mar 2009, 03:56 

Dotsch,

Someplace there must be a DHCP address range stored outside of /etc/dhcp3/dpchd.conf

I modified my dhcpd.conf file (a couple times) and when running the add diskless client script (from the gui) it comes up with a ip of .15 which is below the first range statement that starts at .21 (upon re-run it now uses .16)

.15 and .16 are both defined in my dhcpd.conf but as a known host with a fixed IP assigned by MAC for other machines (not crunchers) and are not in any CURRENT range statements.

When I power on the client it comes up and appears to talk to the dhcp server. However it says that's IP is .13
It then gives a list of "Trying to load...." messages and ends with "unable to locate configuration file". I'll email you my dhcpd.conf as looks now after the re-run of the diskless client install.

Thanx, Skip

Post subject: Re: IP addresses on diskless client?
PostPosted: 29. Mar 2009, 04:24 

I may have found what's controlling this in some .conf files in /etc/opt/dotsch_ux/

Gonna update a couple settings and retry.

Post subject: Re: IP addresses on diskless client?
PostPosted: 29. Mar 2009, 06:52 

In /etc/opt/dotsch_ux/ I found the file that controls the setting of the next IP and can do the add_client fine and it now assigns the first one to .21 as I needed. I also found where in the diskless.conf there was a DHCP range from my original install that had .13 as the 1st in the range but changing that, cleaning out all the stuff added by the client_add and re-running the client still tried to come up as .13 so I've cleaned out the files from the .21 add and re-attached a CD drive and re-ran the diskless_server script.. it gave me a nfs error about /diskless/crunch21 not being present but went on so I'm hoping that's OK... There's obviously more being built than I'm finding and cleaning out.

I then ran the client_add again.

It started with .21 as I wanted and went to end but did post two errors in 4/6:
Code:
exportfs: duplicate export entries:
exportfs:           xxx.xxx.xx.21:/diskless/crunch21
exportfs:           xxx.xxx.xx.21:/diskless/crunch21

But again it went on and finished.

I then copied my modified dhcpd.conf files back into /etc/dhcp3/ and restarted dhcp3-server.

Upon booting the client I am back to the "boot filename received" error.

I re-edited the /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf file to add back in
Code:
filename "pxelinux.0";
to the generated entry at the bottom for crunch21 and again, restarted the dhcp3-server.

This got be back to where the client tries to boot but thinks his IP is .13 and fails with the "unable to locate configuration file" error message.

Can you please tell me where else the .13 could still be coming from after I did both the diskless server and client reinstall? Do I need to go clear back and reinstall the OS? Seems like overkill.

Thanx, Skip

PS: Thought I'd found it when I found multiple entries in /etc/exports for the same client I'm trying to get to boot. The first entry had an IP of .13. I edited it down to the one line and the client STILL is being handed the .13 IP address. Where is this coming from?

/etc/exports file now:
/diskless/crunch21 xxx.xxx.xx.21(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)